2009年6月21日日曜日

Names and Addresses #7

1.Are feelings, emotions and facial expressions universal across borders, happy, sad, etc..?
Yes, I think so. For example, it cries when it is sad, and it laughs when it is happy. The middle of the forehead is wrinkled if angry, and the corners of the mouth fall if crying. It's common all over the world.

2. Try to name as many feelings as possible in Japanese. ( 10 minimum) Then, write the English translation.
楽しい interesting  
悲しい sad
悔しい regrettable   
面白い funny
恥ずかしいashamed  
嬉しい pleased
苦しい hard      
退屈 boring
怒る angry      
幸せ happy
好き like       
嫌い hate
羨ましい envious  
嫉妬 jealous

3 Are there any feelings in Japanese that cannot be translated into English?

Yes, I have. For example...

  • When I go into someone’s room: 失礼します
  • When I go out: いってきます/いってらっしゃい
  • お蔭様で

     

8 件のコメント:

  1. hey candy :)

    I agree with you!
    お陰様で...it's very typical Japanese word,isn't it?
    I was confused when I had the same problem before, but now I think I don't need to translate just directly. We can tell the feeling with another way!! :D

    返信削除
  2. hi candy!!
    when i went to England, i visited a school, and there is a Japanese class in the school. If teacher asked "おげんきですか?”to students, they answered ”はい、おかげさまでげんきです。”I do not know how teacher tell them about "おかげさまです" in English, but they used it. I should have asked the teacher about it!!

    返信削除
  3. hello candy!
    I like eat candy very much!^_^

    I think"お蔭様で"such words and sentences maybe can use "Thankfully" or " Thank Godness" to translated into English. So that foreigners can understand what's the meaning of the "お蔭様で". Also,in my opinion,there are not exactly words existence to translate one language to another language in the world.Specially,the dialects and the unique words.There are too difficult to translate.
    On the other hand, I think maybe Japanese are courteous person in the world.~_~

    返信削除
  4. Hi!
    When we enter someone's room, we say "失礼します".
    But I think Americans say "Hi." that's all.
    It is very easy!!

    返信削除
  5. Hello, I really agree with you.
    Japanese say すいません, 失礼します, something like apologizing.
    On the other hand, Americans say "Thank you," and they do not apologize so much.

    返信削除
  6. I am very sorry but I have misplaced the sign-up sheet with the volunteers names and email addresses on it. If you signed up to make potato salad, set-up, cook/serve food, or clean up, please leave me a comment!

    返信削除
  7. I agree with you.
    I thought these phrase's transration.
    「失礼します」→"Can I come in?"
    「いってきます」→"I'm leaving"
    「いってらっしゃい」→"Have a good day"
    It's just my opinion. I don't know the right answers.
    I agree with Ms.blackcherry as well.
    We can say in other words.

    返信削除
  8. "お蔭様で" is difficult to say in English.
    Japanese have many respect words.

    返信削除